Elastics are rubber bands that are attached to your braces or aligners. They are designed to create the exact amount of pressure on your teeth that is needed to move them. In order for the elastics to keep a steady force, they must be worn all the time and they must be changed several times per day. Please Note: If you choose not to wear your elastics as prescribed, your treatment will take longer your results may be less than desirable.
Here are some tips for the proper care of your elastics:
- It is your responsibility to change the elastics at each meal and at bedtime day. This is very important as the band will lose its elasticity rapidly, resulting in inadequate force on your teeth.
- You may remove your elastics at each meal and while brushing your teeth. Put new elastics back on immediately.
- Keep extra elastics with you wherever you go so that if one breaks you can replace it right away.
- As your supply gets low, call us or come by the office so that we can give you more.
- If you find that your elastics are breaking frequently, call us, as we may need to make an adjustment to your braces.