Orthodontics: 10 Things You Didn’t Know
Just for fun this month, we are taking a look at 10 things you may not have known about braces:
- Roughly 25% of orthodontics patients will have to wear braces again later on. Why? Because they didn’t wear their retainer as instructed! When mom tells you to wear your retainer, you’re better off doing what she says!
- Mummies in Egypt have been found with metal bands on their teeth, leading archaeologists to believe that they may have been trying to straighten teeth – the world’s first orthodontists!
- Thanks to better wire technology, orthodontic treatment takes half the time that it used to.
- The wires that we use are body heat activated to keep their shape. This amazing technology was developed by… you guessed it: NASA!
- Not just for kids! Millions of adults go through orthodontic treatment every year!
- Your teeth are moving throughout your life, and always toward the front of your mouth! Another reason to wear that retainer.
- As your teeth move, your nerves and blood supply regenerate and move with them.
- We can expand the upper jaw in patients if needed until they are 13 years old by gently moving apart the two bones in the roof of the mouth.
- Scientists are working on looking at genes to see which ones are responsible for making crooked teeth!
- The first braces (after the Egyptian experiment) consisted of a flat metal band that was connected to the teeth with thread.
Do you know any fun facts about braces or your teeth in general that we’ve missed? We’d love to hear them, call Newnan Office Phone Number 770-304-0333 to set up your next appointment!
Comments are closed.